Books of Amber

I have no idea what I am doing, but what else is new.

Blackwood

Blackwood - Gwenda Bond Bad start to September, eh? After reading Lies Beneath and finding it completely dull, I was hoping I wouldn't come across another novel like that any time soon. As you do. I picked up Blackwood because I received it for review, and I feel pretty much the same way about this book as I do about Lies Beneath. Just without the creepy male protagonist and the idiot female who falls in love with a stalker.The premise was so, so intriguing; I was excited to pick this up because of it. I'm a HUGE fan of the TV show Supernatural, and there are a couple of episodes in which the Croatoan colonists are mentioned. I love unsolved mysteries, and this is one that fascinates me. Where did they all go?! Needless to say, I was really looking forward to reading this because it sounded like something the Winchester brothers would investigate. But, unfortunately, it fell flat.Like I said, the premise was intriguing, but I think I was put off by the writing style. I can't pin point exactly what I disliked about it (being a terrible book reviewer and all), but I just couldn't get sucked in no matter how hard I tried.I don't even have any strong feelings about the main characters, because I honestly felt nothing for them. Miranda did, however, have a nice collection of DVDs, which I appreciated. The references to those were funny.Give this a go if you think the storyline would be your cup of tea, but read some other reviews first because I wouldn't want you to go into this thinking it's awful. It's just not something that could captivate me.

Shift Omnibus Edition (Silo, #2) (Wool, #6-8)
Hugh Howey
Viral Nation
Shaunta Grimes
The School for Good and Evil
Soman Chainani
Fire in the East (Warrior of Rome 1)
Harry Sidebottom